Working hard or hardly working.

We’ve been in Australia nearly two months and I have only written two blog posts. Not at all what I expected, but then again, much of the last two months has not been what I expected. Expect the unexpected has surely taken on a whole new meaning.

Since I flipped our calendar to March I’ve been thinking a lot about our time here thus far. We work almost everyday,  haven’t had much of a break, and have only had one small trip (not including the many drives to Daylesford, Ballarat, and Melbourne for veggie deliveries and or farmer’s markets). But none of it feels at all like work. I don’t dread the day ahead of me, or wonder what I can fill my time with. I still hate the alarm clock and the fact that I overuse the snooze button, but once I’m up and have had my morning coffee or tea, I’m ready and excited for the day ahead.

This unfamiliar feeling is a large part of why we decided to spend 6 months here. The both of us just can’t take the 9-5 desk job; Jonathon needs the physical activity and using his hands and I, well, I think I am just too distracted and slightly A.D.D. to sit at a computer for 8 hours a day. I also need a lot of interaction with human beings and as smart as our computers are these days, they just don’t cut it. I need conversation and thought provocation, not mind numbing computer screens and Facebook.We both loved our jobs and our coworkers before we left, but just couldn’t handle the desks anymore.

So as much as we work and as hard as we work, we feel we are hardly working. We feel so privileged to be in a place where we can grow heaps of organic vegetables for people and do our small part in feeding the world…the right way.

I have had friends and family ask what our days are like here, so I thought I would give a weekly overview of our life here in Australia.

Sunday: Our day off, but usually spent catching up on work we didn’t get to the week before.
Monday & Tuesday: Our slowest days of the week. Often consumed by weeding, picking apples, or again catching up on missed duties. Tuesday for me is a day off from farm duties to work on my freelance design (including some marketing/design work for the farm) , this blog (which I somehow never get to), and a chance for me to try out some new recipes and indulge in all the fresh food we have access to.
Wednesday: Oh, what a day. These are our 12-14 hour work days. This is our first “pick & pack” of the week, picking and packing roughly 40 boxes of 12-15 different varieties of fruits and vegetables for the Hepburn Springs and Castlemaine areas. Once that order is out the door, we start packing for our wholesale customers who usually take another 30-40 boxes of wholesale fruit and veg. Jonathon and I then deliver the wholesale order to a bloke who trucks it all down to Melbourne at 4:00am the following day.
Thursday: Another slowerish day; a nice break between Wednesdays and Fridays. We pick and pack about 12 boxes (a slowly growing order) for the Ballarat area. An area we have recently tapped back into with a new drop-off point (a willing person to coordinate a place for our customers to pick up their boxes) and home deliveries. Once picked and packed, Jonathon and I leave the farm around 3:30 to make the 4:00 delivery.
Friday: Also a 12-14 hour work day. We pick and pack for roughly 80-90 fruit and veg boxes. About 40-50 of them are picked up early Saturday morning by a local guy and re-sold to a customer base in the Melbourne area. This has been a new addition, but a great one; especially because we don’t have to deliver! The rest are then delivered to Melbourne on Saturday. We usually have to hustle to take showers and then head over to the Cellar Door restaurant for Friday Night Pizza Night. Jonathon is the wood-fired pizza chef and I the pizza cutter/server. After all the customers are served, we get to enjoy our own wood-fired pizza!
Saturday: We pack the van with part of Friday’s order and head to Melbourne around 8:00am. We have two drop-off points and then stop at our friends Marcus and Angie’s place (also our main wholesale customers) for a little business mixed with fun and a great lunch! We sometimes do a bit of sightseeing, but usually leave pretty quickly to head back to the farm. Some Saturdays, like today, Jonathon heads to Melbourne by himself and I grab a WWOOF‘er or two and haul produce to the Daylesford Farmer’s Market. Saturdays are pretty enjoyable; it’s always great to see the faces of the people who buy our veg!

Whew, that was probably long and boring to read, but some posts just have to be more informational, then entertaining! I almost forgot to mention that we recently bought two goats! Which means add “wash and sanitize milking bucket and gear, milk Charlotte, cool milk, wash milking gear again,” to the beginning of each day. With that said, world, I’d like you to meet our girls Charlotte (red collar) and Josephine “Josie” (green collar).


DSC_0777CharlotteandJosiePer usual, you can check out more of my photos on my Flickr page here.


2 thoughts on “Working hard or hardly working.

Leave a Reply to Phyllis Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s